Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sunshine, Roses, & Thorns

I love to work in my flower bed. It can be a lot of work, but it is worth it. I have to put the plants or flowers in the right place because some flowers need more sun than others, and of course, I have to coordinate my colors! I have a lot of fun. But, I started thinking about how we are all roses in God's flower bed. I have a few rose bushes, and these are some things that I have learned from them. 

1.  Roses need sunshine. If you will pay attention some day, you will see that plants of all kinds grow toward the light. My roses sure do.  I read that roses need at least 6 hours of direct sunlight each day. We are the same, except we need the light of God's Son. Just like the roses, our Special Sonlight draws us to Him. As God's child, we need to establish our roots in His Word. Therefore, as we feed from the Bible, we are drawing toward the Sonlight.
2. Roses are distinct flowers. I don't think I know anyone who has to ask what kind of flower is that when they see a rose. They are easy to identify by their appearance and character. That's how a Christian should be.  A complete stranger should know that I am a Christian just by appearance, countenance, and behavior. The Bible gives clear instruction in every aspect of life. 
3. Roses have thorns. I see two sides to this point. The first is that thorns hurt. Even when you are trying to be careful, sometimes you still get stuck. I can think of a few thorns that hurt us. How about not reading your Bible or going to church? Or maybe telling that "white" lie just stuck you. Thorns hurt, huh? Well, guess what?! So does sin!!! Satan makes sin look attractive and he even makes it easy to do. Then you get stuck. That thorn is the consequence you pay for disobeying God. Secondly, thorns protect the rose. God has placed those protective thorns in our lives. Your pastor and church are a hedge God has placed around us. Staying in the Word builds another hedge about you.
You are a beautiful rose in God's garden. He has provided the Sonshine for you to grow. The Bible provides the armor you need to face the fiery darts. Lastly, God has strategically placed people in our lives that will lead and guide us in His ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment